Saturday 5 November 2011

Injury sucks. It sucks Donkeys.

These aren't going to be used for a while...
Yes, being injured is really quite annoying. What is more annoying is that for all intents and purposes, I'm not actually *that* injured. At least with a broken leg or a snapped arm, you have a cast, and a visible reason not to go off and exercise, not to go and run in the hills, not to hoick heavy weights around. Not only can you SEE the fact that you have been injured, you physically cannot go off doing these things because of a bloody great cast on your limb.

I appear to have done something really bizarre and "pull-y" like to my right achilles, and thought that it would have cleared up by now with a little bit of rest. Admittidly the training in the gym on Thursday was not the easiest of "rest days" that I've done, but my heel didn't seem too bothered by it at all. No pain, nothing.
The DOMS yesterday and today was quite another thing, but I thought that was merely my muscles not liking something that they hadn't done before.
Best thing to do? Get out there for a bit of a walk, stretch the legs, see how things go. Lets not run on it yet, thats probably a bad idea.

We wandered up toward Kinder, got all of about 300 metres and had to go over a stile. All good, until I straightened my right leg, lifting the other one over and I felt what can only be described as a stretching/ripping/coming apart type sensation accompanied by red hot pokers and needles being jammed into the area around the outside of my right heel.
Needless to say I didn't get over the stile, but ended up on the floor, map in mouth, stifling a bit of a scream and a fair few unpleasant words. We stood around for a short while before hobbling back down the hill to the car. Dammit. I can't believe I'm injured for stuff I want to do, and yet, wandering around town, standing around doing nothing, I'm fine, and just look a bit bone idle.

Its very frustrating not being able to get out and walk, let alone run in the hills, especially with this episode of perfect weather we have been having. I keep looking at people training, and listening to things saying "the only way to get better is to train, train, train". But when you are laid up, icing your heel, and cursing, thats not what you want to hear.

The only thing to do is to wait. Read. Catch up on other things that need doing, not get disheartened by not being out on the hill and practicing what you enjoy most. I need to be distracted by other things to make me not think about what I can't do. Its a time to learn, to plan, to grow, but not to run.
There was me thinking I was injury proof. Evidently not.

No comments:

Post a Comment